Fleas are awful little creatures. They cause a lot of misery for a lot of animals and can even kill. Follow these recommendations for a flea-free pet and home.
- Bravecto – Every 3-month oral chewable tablet
- Nexgard – Monthly chewable tablet
- Serersto Collar – Eight month collar
- Revolution – Monthly topical
- Seresto Collars – Eight-month collar
- Vacuum daily all carpeted areas and discard the bag.
- Wash or discard all pet bedding.
- If the problem is severe, consult a professional pest control company for premise treatment
- Some pets may need additional medication for the infection, itching, and comfort.
- One dose of flea control will not fix the problem.
- It will take a minimum of 8 weeks to eliminate eggs and larvae from the environment, (i.e. the carpet, beds, favorite sleeping spots, dog house…)
- Seeing a single adult flea on your pet means thousands of eggs are in the household.
- Fleas survive year-round, so winter is not a time to ease off your prevention. Temperatures must be below 20ºF for 10 straight days to affect the flea population outside. Inside they just keep going.
- Ridding your home of fleas is not quick, easy or cheap.
Fleas are much easier to prevent than to treat once they’re on your pet and in your house. Be consistent and you will save your pet much discomfort and maybe even their life.